Oil Change-Scotty’s Automotive Repair While all car owners know that their vehicles require oil to run properly, they often overlook the significance of oil changes and how dirty oil can adversely affect their car. At Scotty’s Automotive Repair we have certified and experienced technicians who are experts in oil changes. Engine oil is a vital component of your car’s engine and is responsible for sealing, cleaning, cooling, reducing friction, and protecting the moving parts of the vehicle. Oil is an essential component of your car's engine, so it is crucial to make sure you are changing it and that you are going to a reputable mechanic the last thing you want to do is have a cheap oil change done and have the wrong oil damage your engine.
Signs Your Engine Oil Needs to Be Changed Your vehicle most likely came with an owner’s manual that will indicate how often to change the engine oil as well as what engine oil to use, but occasionally you may need to change your oil before the scheduled oil change and some of the reasons why are listed below:
1. Noisy EngineThe purpose of motor oil is to lubricate the car's engine and keep reducing friction and protect the engine if you begin to hear noises coming from the engine it can be an indicator that the oil has become old and needs to be replaced. As the oil travels through the engine, it picks up dirt and debris and can become thick or dirty and is not lubricating the engine properly leading to noises. It is vital to change the oil right away to keep from damaging the car's engine.
2. Excess Vehicle ExhaustNewer cars are designed so that you usually do not see visible exhaust coming from the tailpipe if you notice visible exhaust it can be a sign that the oil is old and no longer working the way it should, so it is time to have an oil change.
3. Low Oil LevelWhile you may need to add a bit of oil occasionally between oil changes, if you find you need to add more and more oil at more frequent rates you should have an oil change done. Either you may be using the wrong type of oil, or you have an oil leak that needs to be fixed.
4. Long Road TripIf you usually use your vehicle for commuting to and from work or school and have a long road trip planned it is best to have an oil change done before and after the trip to ensure that the oil stays clean and is lubricating the engine properly.
5. Check Engine LightWhile there are many reasons the check engine light may come on in your car, the cheapest and easiest to check first is an oil change.
6. Irregular Oil Color or TextureIt is essential to frequently check your oil to make sure there is enough cycling through the car's engine an that it is clean. If you notice that the oil seems to have an odd texture and is darker than it should be it is a sign that you need an oil change, as the oil runs through the engine it can pick up dirt and debris.
At Scotty's Automotive Repair, we know how vital, regular oil changes are to the longevity of your car's engine and our highly trained and skilled oil technicians can answer any questions you have regarding oil changes. We offer affordable oil changes that come with a 100% customer satisfaction guarantee, so if you are unsure when you last had your oil changed, call us today and schedule an appointment.