Brakes- Scotty’s Automotive Repair The braking system of your car is vital for the safety and well-being of you and your passengers as well as other vehicles on the road with you. Brakes should receive routine maintenance at a brake shop. At Scotty's Automotive Repair we have skilled and trained technicians that have the knowledge and experience to provide brake service, brake repair, and brake replacement.
Signs You Need Brake Service The braking system on your car is fundamental as it is what is going to slow down and stop your vehicle. If the brake system fails, you will have no way to stop your vehicle, creating a hazardous situation not only for you and your passengers but other vehicles on the road as well. Listed below are some warning signs that your car may need brake repair:
1. Illuminated Brake LightMost modern vehicles are equipped with dashboard warning lights that will illuminate when there is a problem. If the dashboard brake light is illuminated, your car is letting you know the brakes need to be serviced.
2. Noises When BrakingBrake pads and parts can wear out over time so if you hear grinding, squealing, or squeaking when you apply the brakes it is a sign the brake pads are worn and will need to be replaced.
3. Vibration When BrakingThe car's braking system includes rotors which consist of large discs that are located on the outside of the wheels when the brake pedal is pressed the brake pads contact the rotors causing the vehicle to slow and stop. If you fell vibrating or scraping when you apply the brakes, it may be a sign that there is a problem with the rotor and your car needs to be serviced.
4. Fluid LeaksBrake fluid is essential for your car to stop so if you find brake fluid leaking from your vehicle it is vital to have it serviced immediately.
5. Burning SmellWhen car brakes get old or overused, they can become overheated, causing a burning smell. If this occurs you must pull over immediately and allow the brakes to cool before proceeding; you do not you risk boiling the brake fluid which will lead to brake failure.
6. Soft Brake PedalWhile each vehicle is different, brake pedals are typically stiff, so if you notice that the brake pedal is softer or spongier than normal it is a sign of failing brakes and needs to be addressed immediately.
At Scotty's Automotive Repair, the safety of our customers is our highest priority, and it is essential to make sure you have the car's brake system is checked for problems. We have highly skilled technicians in our auto brake shop who can diagnose and fix any brake service, brake repair, or brake replacement. IF you are unsure when you last had your brakes inspected, call us today and schedule an appointment, and we can assist you with any brake question or problem, you have.