Auto Diagnostics - Scotty’s Automotive Repair As a car owner, it is vital to make sure you are monitoring your vehicle and having it serviced when a problem arises. Usually, the first sign that the car is experiencing issues is that the check engine light will illuminate. If the check engine light comes on in your vehicle, it is essential to take it to an auto diagnostic shop and have it looked at. There are many possible reasons for the check engine light to come on, and only a trained professional will be able to find the code and fix the problem. At Scotty's Automotive Repair we have the proper equipment and skilled mechanics on hand to perform auto diagnostics anytime the check engine light comes on in your vehicle.
Reasons Your Check Engine Light Will Come On The check engine light is a non-specific light and indicates that the vehicle has detected a problem and should be looked at. Listed below are some common reasons that your car’s check engine light may come on:
1. Oxygen Sensor The oxygen sensor helps to monitor how much fuel is burned and if the sensor is damaged it will not provide the correct information to the car’s computer and will prompt the check engine light to come on.
2. Gas Cap One often overlooked reason for the check engine light to come on is a problem with the gas cap. If the gas cap is old or broken, it can allow fuel vapors to leak out and cause a reduction in gas mileage as well as an increase in emissions that will trigger the check engine light to come.
3. Catalytic Converter The catalytic converter is responsible for reducing exhaust emissions and converting toxic compounds into less harmful ones. If the catalytic converter is failing, you will see a decrease in the vehicles fuel efficiency, which will cause the check engine light to illuminate.
4. Mass Airflow Sensor If the mass airflow sensor is malfunctioning it will cause affect the amount of fuel that is being sent causing a decrease in mileage, increase in emissions, and can cause the car to stall all of which will cause the check engine light to come on.
5. Spark Plugs Spark plugs are responsible for initiating combustion. If the spark plugs are old or dirty, they will begin to fail, causing problems with the acceleration of the car and causing the check engine light to illuminate.
At Scotty's Automotive Repair we take our customers safety seriously and anytime the check engine light illuminates in your vehicle you should take it to an auto diagnostic shop and have the car examined. We have highly educated and experienced technicians on hand that can perform an auto diagnostic test to locate the problem with your vehicle as well as the tools and parts to fix your car. If the check engine light is illuminated in your vehicle call today and set up an appointment with our auto diagnostics shop to find out what the source of the problem is, and have it repaired.